.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

So many lawyers, so little time...

"The prospect of hanging focuses the mind wonderfully"--Samuel Johnson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, KY, United States

Gastroenterologist, cyclist, cellist, Christian, husband, father, grandfather.

Monday, May 16, 2005

A little research

I've taken a week or so off to conduct research on the tensile strength of senescent fibrous and fibroelastic tissue. In my effort to bond with my son and get his lazy backside out from in front of the TV, I bought a mountain bike. I have no mountain biking experience at all, so it seemed like a logical thing to do. Pedalling around the neighborhood, my son hopped up an 8 inch curb and made it look easy. My new bike has front end suspension and cool-looking knobby tires, so I assumed it would hop over the curb pretty much on its own. This was a mistake. I went slamming into the curb full-speed, doing a humiliating face-plant on the concrete.

My fibrous and fibroelastic tissue was not in the slightest bit amused. It was a few days before I could walk straight, and I still haven't figured out how to do a bunnyhop on the bike.

So I did the only thing that made sense in this situation. I sued my son. That'll teach the little turkey.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad, if it is any consolation, here is a similar story:
Freshman year. Late for class. I was riding my bike down the Furman mall at full speed when I happened upon a Pepsi truck parked on the walking path. A smart Furman student, I decided that there was enough room between the truck and the curb to speed through unharmed. I was wong. My tire caught the curb and I flew headlong into a huge pile of leaves (still tangled up in my bike) and slid sideways to a stop in front of the largest academic building on campus. People LAUGHED, and they laughed hard.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Andrew Bailey, M.D. said...

Yikes!

I'm thankful you had a fairly soft place to land. I went face down on concrete.

All you readers out there: don't try this at home!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

DHMO.org