.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

So many lawyers, so little time...

"The prospect of hanging focuses the mind wonderfully"--Samuel Johnson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, KY, United States

Gastroenterologist, cyclist, cellist, Christian, husband, father, grandfather.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

A bad truth or a good lie?

"Doc, there may be times during your deposition that you will not like the answers you'll have to give", my lawyer intoned. "I'm telling you now, what ever you do, don't lie. I'm not telling you this for any ethical or moral considerations, it's just that a bad truth is always easier to defend than a good lie. The lies will come back to bite you in the butt every time."

I appreciated my lawyer not wanting ethical or moral considerations to get in the way of winning the lawsuit. Still, there are times when I'm trying to drift off to sleep that I hear my Bad Angel mutter to me: "You could have lied and gotten away with it. No one would have known except you and me, and you can always trust me. Let's face it, you're a fool. No one's going to give you a good citizen award for being honest."

My guardian angel whacks him with a flaming sword and off to sleep I fall. That's the advantage of trying to keep the lies you tell in your lifetime down to a bare minimum. It's a lot easier to get to sleep.

Perhaps that's one of the reasons so many people in America are sleep-deprived. We all struggle with dishonesty, but when it's required for career success it can wear a body down.

During a recent town meeting a representative of the Doctor Defender malpractice insurance company reassured the crowd that there was indeed no malpractice insurance crisis. What we're seeing is a market correction of sorts, but like all issues economic the market will soon take care of what ever inconvenience the doctors are experiencing.

What he didn't mention is that Doctor Defender had recently terminated coverage for the entire Department of Neurosurgery at the Local University, home to a very fine Level III trauma center.

I wish I would have had the pleasure of refusing to write the guy a prescription for sleeping pills.

Then again, I would have sympathized with him and called it right in, I suppose.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why lie when you can put all your assets in your wife's name? I know you have to contend with the divorce rate but say your marriage lasts 10 years and you, as a surgeon, are paying an annual premium of ~$200,000. In the event of an actual divorce you could come out financially better.

The lawyers would not sue a person without assets and your reputation would be stellar.

Later on I will relate how I got sued for 1.2 Billion and came out smelling like a rose.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Andrew Bailey, M.D. said...

I'm glad you came out smelling like a rose, but did you have any money left?

Just kidding. I'd love to hear your story.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

December 4th, 1980 was a pleasant day in Harrison, New York just a few miles from NYC. I recall that it was late morning when the Fire Alarm bells started to clang. A smoke detector had sensed smoke in a corridor adjacent to several meeting rooms at a very upscale Stouffers Inn. Inside were 26 young executives from IBM, Arrow Electronics(13) and probably other companies. Within a few minutes they were all dead.
I was in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on vacation when I heard the horid news. As the CEO of the company who supplied the Fire Alarm equipment I put out instructions not to talk to anyone particularly the press. Fortunately, my General Manager couldn't contain himself. To be continued.....

7:43 PM  
Blogger Andrew Bailey, M.D. said...

You got my attention.

And now a word from our sponsors: your story sounds very interesting and would not get the attention it deserves in my backwater blog. Blogspot is free, incredibly user-friendly, and easy to set up an account with. I say go for it.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since there are million of blogs I can't be accused of littering. Therefore, a "kittyblog" is in the making to
continue my story which is creeping back from a long slumber.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

DHMO.org