.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

So many lawyers, so little time...

"The prospect of hanging focuses the mind wonderfully"--Samuel Johnson

My Photo
Name:
Location: Louisville, KY, United States

Gastroenterologist, cyclist, cellist, Christian, husband, father, grandfather.

Monday, October 10, 2005

A quick note to the commentary-spammers

Comments (and site-meter hits) are the coin of the realm to us zeta-bloggers. Long ago I gave up on Glenn Reynolds A-listing or B-listing or listing me at all, so hits above 20/day, or even one thoughtful comment on my posts makes my day, engenders warm and fuzzy feelings, puts a smile on my face and a song in my heart, and results in long wandering sentences full of cliches which is what anyone might naturally expect from a doctor.

Hey, if you want good prose, go check out the Fat Cyclist or somebody.

If comments are the coin of the realm, then the comment-spammers are evil conterfeiters. I scan my posts and see several comments, experience a moment of satisfaction for having stimulated considered responses, and then I see that the comments are nothing more than form-letters advertising male-enhancement products and other worthless garbage.

Well, just stop it.

Let be be clear: I do not endorse any male-enhancement product. They've never worked for me. Save your money (OK, I'm thinking of a very funny scene from the Full Monty).

I would also die a thousand deaths, and the tortured soul of each would endure a thousand hells before I would endorse ANY lawyer, trial or otherwise (thanks be to the author of the Kite Runner for inspiring the last remark).

Finally, if I have to tell you once I've told you a thousand times a thousand: quit wasting time on this and get back to your Latin class.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Bailey, M.D. said...

P.S. The "male-enhancer" site was very funny! Or maybe it was just me.

This still is not an endorsement, but if they have something that works for a change and send the product to me for free...

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True - if they are willing to send it to you for free, and if it works, that does make for something that is hard to beat, doesn't it ?

(innocent grin)

12:08 PM  
Blogger Orac said...

Try turning on Word Recognition in Blogger. That forces commenters to type in a random combination of letters that electronic spambots can't easily decipher. I had the same problem you did with comment spam and got rid of it that way.

Of course, I'm seriously thinking of switching blogging platforms, but for now it works fine.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, just fyi, I skipped Latin today.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

DHMO.org